Saturday, October 17, 2009

Achy breaky back...

Being envious of those who are back home in Malaysia because they have a long weekend break (Deepavali weekend) reminds me that I just miss Malaysia that much more because we get to celebrate all kinds of holidays. Then I realised after checking up on twitter, my fellow Pushmore-mons are suffering because the gym is closed!!! Feeling their pain I went in for a WOD because it wasn't time for my break yet.

Going into the gym really pumped and with high spirits, it suddenly occured to me that the gym shuts at 7pm today and I just walked it (5.45pm). I was planning to do two WODs and thought I could manage it. My plan was to nail Jackie then do WOD 101409. Realising that I am lack of time I had to decide quickly on which workout to take. In the end I told a random guy my dilema and got him to choose for me. He said lets go with WOD 101409. In my heart and mind I was feeling that Jackie should be the workout for me today but since I did some legs the day before and more legs yesterday with pull ups as well I said what the heck lets do some stregth workout so WOD101409 it is....

WOD 101409

For time of:

100 bodyweight Deadlifts

Jonson. T 22 minutes 42 seconds

Not the time I was aiming for at all. I was trying to sub 10 mins seeing as most guys at Pushmore took it out in an easy 8 mins plus. So I thought yeah sub 10mins sounds right.

The beginning;

1st rep (10 unbroken reps on the first go): OMG!!! I can feel it already??? My back is bloody ripping apart!!! Something is wrong.

11th rep (5 reps unbroken all the way till the end of WOD) : OMG my back is already killing me. Something is definitely wrong.

100th rep (end of WOD) : That was damn mental. WHAT!!! my time is 22 mins 42 secs?!?!?!

After chatting with fellow Pushmore-mon Lynn Kong (aka Orange shoes, Superspicybabe, Paleobabe) and telling her about how disastorous the was for me. I sat down thinking about where I might have gone wrong.

I am positive that throughout the work out from rep one to the end I had good form. After just watching the video on the Pushmore blog about deadlift I was sure I was doing it right. Every rep I did I made sure I had good form. From the up-phase to the down-phase, the only thing in my head was;

Up-phase:
1) Feet at standard squat with apart
2) Barbell at middle of feet from my visual
3) Bend and grip bar with out bending legs (with a rounded back)
4) Bend legs till shin touches barbell
5) Straigthen back and chest out
6) Deep breath and hold in core
7) Lift with legs then only straighten back

Down-phase:
1) Use back to lower first
2) The use legs
3) Ensure back and core is straight and tightened
4) Lift for next rep

These steps were running through my head with every rep I did. I was so terribly cautious about my form. May be too cautious becasue I think it really slowed my time by alot, but it doesn't matter to me for now. The time of the workout is not important to me because I am still learning about deadlifts and I want to get my form absolutely perfect before I worry about time.

The thing that I didn't understand was that on the first rep, my back was already ready to explode. I had the feeling that my back was going to rip apart. That is still my main concern and I believe that the next time I get on with deadlifts I have to get someone to record my movements so I can check out my form. Maybe even send it to JW for a review =) Sitting here in my nice comfy room, my back is still bloody aching and I cant even bend forward to touch my toes. I have to remember to stretch before I hit the sack. OOOoooooohhhh my achy breaky back...

P.S. Fellow Pushmore-mons > Do you all have the same feeling? Your back feels like its gonna rip on rep ONE???

No comments:

Post a Comment